Skip to main content

Client CallBack in ASP.NET 2.0

Whidbey, a tool to bring user and developer closer, more easily. Sounds good, does'nt it? Anyway, I heard about the call back functionality they were implementing. Sounded too good. Great feature, etc. etc. Played around with it and it looked really good, useful, etc.etc. Then started the thought process. How are they doing it??? I had heard about another way, using an ActiveX object called XMLHTTP.
Then some guys discussed about whether client callback worked on browsers such as Mozilla, the doubt level increased especially when a bug was reported on Visual Studio bug tracker. So I explored, it was quite simple. When I included code to get a event reference to the callback functionality ASP.NET included a script (.js) file. I got out this file and opened it in good, old TextPad..... Goodness, gracious it looked extrememly familiar. Have a look. So I guess technology is not new but just implementation has been changed, for the better????? Maybe.......... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The fight is in the open

Been busy lately and so have not managed to post for quite long. But I just had to post this. This post is dedicated to all persons who dont know anything about the fight between MS and Google: Check out the links starting from: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5875433.html?tag=nl.e589 There are more links as you get thru the article. Be sure to read those too. And just as a side-note: Check out " Atlas ". These are client side and server side components, which easily (??) enable you to make Web calls. This is done by encapsulating AJAX. (please dont insult by telling me that you dont know what that is).

My first problem with AJAX

I was using Callback (AJAX) to retrieve a page i had developed . Lets start all over, I was using AJAX to retrieve a part of the contents of a web page. Cool, simple, it downloaded without a pain, then I innerHTMLed it to a span tag. Worked fine, successful, clapped my hands etc.etc. Clicked on the button which had seemed to appear out of nowhere. And then, it all fell apart. The feared exclamatory symbol appeared on the status bar.... And for the newbies, thats an indication of a JavaScript error in IE. Of course, as usual i was all curses at my IE window......Anyway to make a long story short (i AM quite sleepy u know). the scripts which i seemed to be innerHTMLing to the span tag are not executed. And what i mean is anything between the script tags which have been innerHTMLed to that span tag are not executed. Of course i can see a ray of hope in the distance. I mean the distance till tomorrow morning. And just for kicks, check out a hi-fundoo flash file titled EPIC 2004 . And for

Single Sign ons

Suddenly struck me.....Are'nt single sign ons becoming popular? First it was Microsoft with their Passport. Now google suddenly seems to be moving towards it. If you dont know what i mean check their, personalized google , Search History , and Gmail . You can use the same gmail account on all three. Wonder when i will be able to associate my blog with gmail and orkut also. Anyway i became an MCP yesterday, in ASP.NET using C#. So i can officially charge more. HAHA. I know atleast one company whom it does not make any difference. Ya, that i work there.